Born in Zurich, Switzerland, 1919. He was trained in Zurich as a graphic designer, and then moved to Paris to work with Paul Colin. In 1946 he moved to Milan becoming art director at the famous Studio Boggeri. Once back in Zurich he opened his own office serving prestigious clients including Electrolux, Glaxo, Philips, Roche, and the Swiss Television. In 1958 he cofounded and designed the outstanding Neue Grafik magazine, a masterpiece in the history of graphic design that fundamentally contributed to the spreading of Swiss typography. Besides his work in graphic design, he also focused on painting and sculpture as a member of the Konkrete Kunst movement. He died in Zurich in 1986.