Born in Milan, Lombardy, 1925. He graduated in painting and scenography from the Brera Academy of Arts at the end of World War II. Self-taught in graphic design, he opened his studio in 1953 and started collaborating with Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni, Bruno Munari, and Max Huber. He worked for major companies including Agip, Electa, Fiat, Olivetti, La Rinascente, and RAI. In the 1960s he was art director of many magazines including Popular Photography Italiana. In 1969 he entered the Nebiolo Research Group for type design. He taught at the Umanitaria School, the ISIA of Urbino, IED, and the Politecnico of Milan. He was President of many major design associations including ADI, ADC Milan, and Icograda. He was awarded major recognitions including four Compasso d’Oro and a honorary degree from the Politecnico of Milan. He died in Milan in 2016.